Tuesday 28 April 2015

Where are all the anxiety storylines?



So this was quite an unexpected post for me to write but I thought I'd just sit down and write about some of my thoughts and feelings surrounding anxiety in the public eye.

This sudden burst to write was brought on by watching a fellow YouTubers video. I've been watching Beckie Brown otherwise know as Beckie0/TrichJournal on and off for years now and followed her on journey with Trichotillomania. This is the condition in which one feels the compulsion to pull out their own hair. Now the video that particularly inspired me to write this is titled "A Trich Casualty" in which she recaps the latest episode of "Casualty" where one storyline features a woman suffering from Trich.

What sparked this post wasn't about Trich or the storyline itself it was that I have never seen a programme, storyline or documentary about Anxiety! Surprising when we really think about it. Yes there may be some out there, that I don't doubt, but nothing has ever crossed my path. Before writing this I even searched on YouTube for some documentaries and very little came up. However if you type in "Anxiety" you are flooded with people experiences and stories, this shows that as a community we ourselves are trying to educate people as the media simply doesn't. Zoe Sugg most known for her beauty videos also suffers from panic attacks and anxiety,  she documents this within advice videos and vlogs on her channel and has even gone on to talk about the subject on This Morning. For me she is the leading celebrity figure talking about it.
Whilst researching for this post I came across Sam from Pixiwoo's video about her anxiety and I could relate a lot to what she was saying, it was also interesting to see how her sister deals with Sam's anxiety. I think I'd one day like to interview one or both of my parents as they see first hand how I suffer and try to deal with panic attacks.

Anxiety is such a wide subject that there is a lot that we, including myself, don't know about it. There are many forms of it from Panic Disorder to Social Anxiety Disorder and many more. For me its not just about educating those who have never experienced it but to reassure those suffering that people are standing up and really taking notice of this disorder. We like to think that as a country we are more accepting of Mental Health and we are but there simply is a lack of knowledge and often compassion for people suffering with anxiety and panic attacks.

So back to my original point. We see so often ground braking storylines on soaps and other tv series for example ones on teenage pregnancy and HIV but why is it that they are yet to tackle a storyline on anxiety or panic attacks? It would be really interesting to see how they portray the feelings, emotions and consequences that anxiety brings. However there is the risk like the Casualty episode that it would get misinterpreted or over dramatised but I feel that would be far outweighed by the attention the storyline brings to the subject.

I will continue to talk about anxiety and panic attacks as it is important to me to share my story and thoughts in the hope of helping just one person to know they're not alone in their feelings. I also see this as an online diary although I suppose diary isn't the right word seeing as I'm making it so public!

I thank you for reading this far as it means you either have some interest in me, anxiety or just what I have to say.

Until next time, Sophie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment