Monday 27 April 2015

Book Corner | Ask Elizabeth by Elizabeth Berkley

Rating: 4/5
Pages: 240
Ask Elizabeth is a survival guide for what is primarily aimed at girls but I believe is relatable for any teenager struggling to well... be a teenager. Elizabeth Berkley is most well known for her role as Jessie is Saved By The Bell.
This book is comprised of anecdotes, facts from experts and stories from Elizabeth herself. It focuses on a wide range of topics such as bullying, body confidence and dealing with death.

Overall I feel this book would benefit most from teens who are at school such as 12-16 as I feel this is the time you most struggle with your feelings and dealing with stress as a teenager. I felt despite the fact that there were stories from girls my age (18) I didn't benefit from some of the topics as I have already gone through school and the experiences that come with it.

As you can see from these pictures the book is laid out like a scrapbook and really gives the feeling of opening a diary or girls survival guide. As novel as this is at times it did make it hard to read some of the stories due to the fonts used which were made to look like handwriting. In the picture above and below you can see pink writing which is Elizabeths on notes and opinions on a subject or story which was a nice personal touch. However due to the ever changing fonts it made it hard to know when Elizabeth was speaking and I feel it would of been easier for all her text to be in one font or colour.


Despite feeling that I couldn't relate to certain subjects anymore such as loosing friends and dealing with bullies I did feel that there was advice on subjects that I could use in years to come. No doubt there will be a breakup that I'll need to get over or a passing of a family member that I'll have to grieve for and I know that I can come to this book to see how other girls have dealt with these situations.

I feel that this book really reminds you that you're not alone in what you're feeling and that many other girls and even boys share the same experiences. I feel this would be a lovely book to give a niece, daughter or younger sister to help them with the struggles of puberty and ultimately being a teenager in such a modern society. 

Over on my YouTube page I've filmed a review on Ask Elizabeth which you can see below.


Until next time, Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment