Friday 27 March 2015

Why I think every woman should vote this year.

As most of you will know if you live in the UK, this year we have the general election in which we choose our local MP's and Prime Minister.
After turning 18 just last year this year will be my first time eligible to vote, in previous years as a child I would walk with my mum to the polling station and have to wait outside whilst she cast her vote. At the time I don't think I really knew of its significance and it all just seemed a bit boring. 

However this year I feel very strongly that every woman should cast their vote if eligible. It's a chance to pick who runs the country and to feel like you are having your say in the matter when so many countries around the world have a autocratic government in which their people have no say in who rules the country. 
But my main reason why I feel women in particular should vote is to remember the Suffragettes and Suffragists who not only gave up their time to petition but also their lives and ultimately got women the right to vote in 1918.

Back in the late 19th and early 20th century women were seen as being too emotional and mentally unstable to vote. Men thought they should be seen and not heard and even used physical restraints and man handled women to do so. However these brave and bold women not only petitioned and marched but went on hunger strikes and took drastic measures to be heard.
I'm sure most of us have seen the horse racing event in which Emily Davison was trampled by a horse however she was also force fed 49 times whilst on hunger strikes and was jailed on nine occasions for her actions.

I feel personally I would be doing these women an injustice if I didn't cast my vote as they fought so hard to get our voices heard.
No I'm not forcing you to vote but I encourage you to think why not. Yes politics may be boring and you might not know who to vote for but don't you wan't to do your part and make a contribution to how the country is run?

No comments:

Post a Comment