Wednesday 7 September 2016

Anxiety Journal | How to help someone with anxiety.

As someone who suffers with anxiety I know how important it is to have someone there supporting you through panic attacks or periods of anxiety. I thought I'd write this post to help those who have a loved one experiencing anxiety but you may not know what to say to them or how to respond to an attack. 

I want to start off by saying everyone's anxiety is different and there are many various and simple things that can help ease the situation. The most important thing you can do is talk to your friend/partner/family member to understand what they are feeling and what they will be experiencing during a panic attack. Sitting down and having a calm conversation about what you can do for them during an attack will be both beneficial to you and them and it will reassure them that someone is there and knows somewhat was they're going through.

It can be quite hard to tell someone close to you that you are suffering with anxiety or panic attacks as it can be seen as a weakness or they may feel people will treat them differently. When they tell you it may come as a shock and you might not know what to say. Below are a couple ideas of things you could say to them to have more of an understanding of what they are going through.

1. I may not fully understand what you're going through but I will always be here for you and to help you through this.

2. Tell me about it and what causes it?

3. I understand that your anxiety may come out of nowhere at times and that is may set you with limits but I will help you push through them. 

Here are some things that help me but I do stress that everyone is different and these things may not work for everyone. 

1. The first one is really simple... hold their hand. This simple act is very reassuring to let them know they're not alone and that you are there for them. 

2. This sort of follows the last one but giving them a hug and just holding them can also be very comforting due to the pressure and being able to feel safe. 

3. Talking to your loved one enables you to find out what can trigger their anxiety and what symptoms they will be feeling at that period of time. By finding this out you will be aware of what situations can be particularly difficult and you can help them to either avoid the situation or face it head on. 

4. Talk to them and find out what could help them during a period of anxiety or when they are having a panic attack. For example I go very quiet and feel quite nauseous so I wouldn't want to be asked too many questions. But rather have the person i'm with just talk to be about anything random or do breathing exercises with me.

5. Learn their breathing exercises. By learning these you can help them during a panic attack when sometimes is can be difficult for them to focus. 

Below are some things you could say to a loved one when you can sense they're feeling anxious:

| It/You will be ok |
| It wont last forever |
| I'm here with you |
| I'm here for you |
| Is there anything you need? |
| Your safe with me |
| It can only last 20 minutes |
| I wont let anything happen to you |
| It's ok to feel what you're feeling |
| You can get through this |


To sum up actions can sometimes speak louder than words and talking to your loved one about it is the best thing you can do. As someone who has to deal with anxiety knowing that you have people who love and support you is one of the most comforting things.

I hope this has helped you approach the subject with a loved one and that you can move forward together in support for one another.

Until next time, Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment