Sunday 28 June 2015

Book Corner | Funny Girl by Nick Hornby

Rating: 2/5
Pages: 342
I originally didn't want to write or vlog about this book as I really didn't enjoy it and only gave it 2/5 stars however I like to keep a record about all the books I read and felt I owed my readers my true opinion on the book.

This book is set in Brighton/London in the 1960's and follows a girl called Barbara/Sophie who wants to make people laugh like her inspiration Lucille Ball.
I was drawn to this book solely for the fact it mentioned Lucille and thought it would actually include more about her.
This book really didn't grab me in and I couldn't relate or bond with any of the characters. I felt by the end of the book I was just reading it to say that I actually finished it. 

This book wasn't completely what I expected as I envisioned Sophie becoming some big comedic star however for most of the book she stays on the small screen like Lucille did with I Love Lucy.
The show Barbara (and Jim) reminded me very much of I Love Lucy and then when they progressed to Everyone Loves Sophie it reminded me of Here's Lucy. 

I felt this book didn't just focus on Sophie but her colleagues around her and this was something I wasn't interested in and felt was somewhat unnecessary.  
During the book Sophie had a very brief encounter with Lucy and I would of loved this scene to of been longer and for Sophie to of had a better experience meeting her. 

I really skim read the last quarter of this book as I just didn't have much of an interest to the storyline and just wanted to see how it ended.

Below is my review over on YouTube.


A very short review this time and I hope to have a better rated book next time for you.
Sophie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment